Saturday, December 12, 2009

What's wrong with my ring finger?

This is the second winter season that I've dealt with a bad rash under my wedding rings. For 4 years I didn't have any problems with my rings. It wasn't until last winter that I started getting this red itchy rash and for some reason it only happens when it's cold outside. The skin under my rings gets red, swollen and flaky and a few times, when it's been really bad, I've had small blisters that are pretty painful.

After doing some research online, it sounds like I'm dealing with a bacterial/fungal infection due to buildup of soap and moisture under my rings. Which I guess makes sense since I'm constantly washing my hands and then putting on lotion this time of the year... not to mention all of the hand sanitizer we use. I've also read that a lot of people develop this issue right after pregnancy, which would be my case since I had my youngest two years ago.

A couple of different forums that say I need to soak my rings in 2 parts vinegar and 1 part hydrogen peroxide and then boil them for 15 minutes in order to kill any bacteria. I'm thinking about trying this unless someone has better solution? Is anyone out there dealing with something similar?

3 comments:

  1. I had this problem for the first time a few weeks ago on both ring fingers. I thought it was just due to dry skin from hand sanitizer and my rings irritating it. I just tried not to wear my rings as much for a little while and it totally went away. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would use an anti-fungal cream and leave the rings off until it heals back up and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to sanitize the rings just to make sure you don't give it back to yourself. I didn't do anything to my rings after I figured out what was going on. I was working out with them on and ended up in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man - I had the same thing too this summer/fall! Dr Stewart & my dermatologist told me to use hydrocortisone cream and stop wearing my rings for a week or so then to make sure my hands were completely dry from the water and/or lotion before putting them back on. Good luck...it was no fun! I agree with sanitizing the rings too!

    ReplyDelete