Friday, January 8, 2010

Thanks for your prayers...

... and calls, emails, and texts! Georgia is doing fine, praise the Lord!

For those who don't know... Georgia & I were in Sam's yesterday doing some grocery shopping and (like always) I let her sit in the "big" part of the buggy rather than the child's seat where she is supposed to sit (lesson learned)! Anyway, I was looking at something on the shelf and didn't notice that she had stood up. I started to push the buggy and just as I looked back at her (and what seemed like slow motion) I watched her lose her balanced and flip over the back of the buggy landing directly on her head on that hard concrete floor. It was the loudest sound and I can't even begin to describe the terror that came over me - especially after JUST reading that email about little Coby falling out of the high chair in TN and cracking his skull (BTW - I heard that he is still in serious condition with internal bleeding so please continue to keep him and his family in your prayers!). A really nice man ran over to us and helped me inspect her for any bleeding or broken bones. Other than a lot of crying, she seemed to be okay, but I called the doctor anyway and they told me to bring her in right away. The doc examined her and asked me a ton of questions and it turns out that (other than a really bruised noggin) she was going to be fine... Oh, except for the double ear infection that we discovered while she was at the doctor. The Lord works in mysterious ways :) So, thanks again for all of your prayers! I really believe that angels were watching over her during that fall because if you had seen (or heard) it you would know that it's a miracle she was not seriously injured!

FYI - if your child ever has a head-injury, here are a few things to look for:

  • Did they cry right away? If so then that's a good sign. If not then that means they could have had a concussion (even if it was just for a few seconds)
  • Are they acting confused, off-balance or disoriented?
  • Have they been throwing up?
  • Has there been any change in their eyes (pupil size, reaction to light, eyes rolling around)
  • Are they acting extremely sleepy? It's important to make sure they don't go to sleep right after a head injury.

Disclaimer: I'm not a a medical professional what-so-ever. These are just some things our doctor asked/told me during our visit and I thought it might be useful knowledge to store in our (already overloaded) mommy brains.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Scarlotte. That is one of those worst nightmare situations. Especially since knowing what could happen is so fresh on your mind. I am so glad that Georgia is doing well, what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary!!! So glad she is okay. William always stands in the big part of the buggy. I will have to really watch him.

    ReplyDelete